Monday, February 15, 2016

A beginner's perspective on HOT Vinyasa

I walked into the class - I often do not even know which class I am entering. I simply look at the schedule, see if there is a class when I can make it and GO if there is. I know. I know. This is not how it should be done. You need to schedule it in. You need to make it a priority. You need to be sure to take care of yourself first....I am slowly getting there. But right now I am simply "being real."

I find my spot in the room, see a familiar face of a teacher and she acknowledges me and says "you have never done this class before, have you?" I simply respond with "what is this class?" Oh boy. Hot Vinyasa.

Most people at this point would shut their mouths and think "oh no. I hate heat. I can't do this class. I will throw up. This is not my thing." But not me. I say it out loud. I apologize in advance for leaving the class early, if that happens to be what happens and I start my journey with my first HOT class. (with a very un-positive approach)

A veteran (that's what I call people that have been doing yoga for years that can do things like hand stands and balancing on one arm) that is next to me smiles and says, you will love it - I promise. Whatever. Are you kidding me. Hot and trying to exercise? Let's get this started so I can move on with me day.

We start the class, and my brain starts. "Why would anyone want to to this? Why does someone want to be hot on purpose while they do yoga? This class has quite a few people in it? I wonder if they come every week?" Breathing. Quiet. Rest. "It isn't too hot." My hip isn't really hurting. My mind is starting to empty. There are many options to try something new or simply just be. I meet somewhere in the middle. And I find I am not looking at anyone....well once I looked at that veteran who was balanced on one arm! But I bring myself back to center again quickly. Yes, I am sweating but I do not feel sick at all. This actually feels good. I am peaceful. I am not thinking about work. I am enjoying "me" time.
Crazy chic that can arm balance!

The instructors voice brings me back to my breath....I suddenly am feeling a bit cooler now. We end the class. I look around in disbelief and the instructor announces (after the class has had their time to finish..."And you made it through the whole class and we hit 92!"

Really? It never felt that hot? It wasn't bad at all. Wow, I am impressed with myself - I never would have chose this class on my own. So what are the benefits of this Hot Vinyasa? -Now I have to know.


  1. Heat and sweating helps to remove toxins from your body, plus it really does feel good to sweat.
  2. Sweating my A#5 off, I felt like I was more focused and my mind became empty quicker.
  3. You can make gains cardiovascular, almost equal to running (which I do not like) and build muscle in a heated room. It is more intense.
  4. It helps with flexibility, and if you have an injury (which I do) it makes the stretch and strengthening less painful and actually feel better.
  5. If you want to loose weight, a hot room will intensify your workout and help with weight-loss. Warm muscles can burn fat more quickly (or at least that is what I read somewhere.)
  6. Again, good for injuries and even with prevention of future injuries. And it is great for arthritis.
  7. It is a natural way to rid yourself of toxins that could be causing skin issues. Who doesn't want that natural "yoga glow!"
I am not an expert...far from it. But if I can do it, so can anyone. So I am challenging you to take a Hot Vinyasa class. Let the instructor know you are new and trying it out. Drink LOTS of water before and after (maybe even bring a towel) and go in with an open mind (not the Negative Nelly Tude I had) and let me know how it goes in the comments below. I cannot wait to hear!






No comments:

Post a Comment